Wednesday, October 10, 2012

-->
Hola dear friends,  I think of you all often back home and hold you
close in my heart and will look at the time and wonder what's 
happening in carlisle and the routines that are being followed. 
It keeps me connected energetically and underscores that time on 
clock hours is so relative. So having said that it is dark here 
and 10.30 at night and therebitnis 4:30  I am in Cacabelos after 
a long  mostly hard scape walk through Ponferrada another fairly 
large city with lots to do and see. I had  a long breakfast with 
great conversation and 2 cafe con leches on the outskirts with a 
woman I met from Colorado  who started in Pamplona and is 
bicycling the Camino by herself.  We had a great chat after 
she biked off I  walked off and and left my map and guide book 
on the table of the cafe. The good news was that I was not  10 K 
on the other side of Ponderrada but within a mile or so but the 
fact that I walked that stretch 3 times on sidewalk had my body 
talking to me about paying attention and gathering my things 
before I leave. I'm also having a grandma read flashback in that 
inner voice :)    Anyway the cafe owner had my precious well worn 
book in a safe place behind the counter and gave me a knowing 
smile when I rushed in with a big question mark on my face.   
It mad for a long day so when I arrived in Cacabelos around 5 
I was done in  and decided to splurge on a Hostel room.  These 
rooms tend to be more expensive 30 euros compared to 5, 7, or 
donation and are more like a hotel room of sorts. I didn't get 
a bathtub although I practically begged for one, but towels 
sheets pillowcase a small balcony with clothes line a pot of 
mint tea and my own bathroom with hot water.   Life is good.    
And the church is right outside my window with the  bells 
striking 10  pm. I love those bells. I also heard  cow bells 
again yesterday for the first time  since walking in the 
Pyrenees. Remember yesterday I was bemoaning the fact that 
I was so focused on my feet and walking that I missed the 
blackberries?   Well I made up for my lack yesterday.  What a 
great way to start the day.  On another food note,  I went 
down to the lobby and ran into  a woman from Texas I met a 
week ago who is also staying here. I went out to dinner with 
her and another couple from California and had my first Pulpo 
a la Gallega or octopus Galicians style.  My cousin Daniel who 
lived in Santiago gave me a list of foods to try. He did say I 
must eat the octopus while in Galicia or it would be like eating 
a Philly Cheese steak in Dallas Texas, but I am getting pretty 
close to Galicia and  plan to try this dish multiple times  if 
was delicious and Cooked  with oil paprika and boiled potatoes Mmmmmm.   
The vegetable soup was also awesome this evening.  I will  most likely 
walk to Ocebriero on Friday which is another amazing climb with views 
to knock your socks off.  Hopefully the full force rain I am hearing 
now will move through and the weather Gods will gift me with good 
weather.   I am tired and ready for bed. No Ear plugs or sleeping 
bag  tonite !!!!!! Ah the simple pleasures. Be well my friends, 
embrace the day. And know you are loved Camille in and on the Camino. 

 

2 comments:

  1. sleep well sweet Camille... your doing great.
    love
    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your posts and am in awe of your stamina! Can't wait to hear these stories in person. Be well!

    Love ya, bomnie

    ReplyDelete