Wednesday, October 17, 2012


Hola everyone,  well I am in Melide today after walking in the pouring rain from 
Palas de REI.  It was a short day for me of only about 15 kilometers. When I got 
onto Melide I ran into two German friends and we all three decided to call it quits 
and get warm and dry. Perhaps I am trying to make these last few days last or as 
the end is nearing I  am slowing down. I'm not sure, probably a mix of many things 
not unlike how my entire journey has been. I plan to be in Santiago by Saturday 
maybe before noon so I can attend the pilgrims mass, but i will definitely go to 
the pilgrims  mass on Sunday as I think they will swing the large 6 person 
needed to hoist it incense holder called the botofumeiro. In the movie The 
Way that scene was very moving and history says it was not only for the 
purification purpose that incense symbolizes but also to cover up the stench 
from all the smelly pilgrims. They didn't have many hot showers in the day. ;). 
There is room now for 1000 pilgrims at the mass so you can imagine the emotion 
and energy that is present. Today as I was leaving Palas de REI and just 
ready to begin a slight ascent onto a wooded trail I saw a bus open it's 
doors and about 30 people got out with various day packs and wooden 
walking sticks and multi colored ponchos. My first reaction was "0h no". 
And I began to slow down and avoid the rush and then I thought wait a minute, 
these folks are here for whatever experience they can have and I want to 
know what that is. So I said hola to the first person  I came along side 
and found out that it was a group from Puerto Rico that came together as 
a group and were headed to Santiago. I offered her a Buen Camino and moved 
on. I think they had a travel guide with them although if that is the case 
their guide was not very helpful in suggesting rain wear. There was a woman 
walking in the rain with cotton sweat pants a cotton sweater and no  rain 
gear.  Hypothermia waiting to happen. Eventually I saw her put on a rather 
thin poncho. I hope she is somewhere warm now. I find myself singing my 
way along the journey at times. Not always full out loud, but under my 
breath or quietly outloud or sometimes in my head. Today "I'm singin in 
the rain" was one of my tunes although I did not do my fred  Astaire /
ginger Rogers imitation. Too muddy. So tonite out to dinner with Annette 
and Hardy a German couple I met quite awhile ago. Actually Annette was 
walking alone when I first Met her and her boyfriend Hardy joined her 
about A week and a half or so ago. They've slowed down because Hardy 
has some knee issues. We Hope to get some Pulpo de Gallega the octopus 
dish with paprika that is a speciality here. I had it once about 5 days 
ago but want to compare and see if there is a difference.  I'll let you 
know  Tomorrow might find me in A Calzada or A Calle or Salceda. 
I will see what the day brings and the weather.  Love light and dry warm 
beds to you as you embrace the day. Camille in and on the Camino 

6 comments:

  1. Melide -- How I wish I had stopped in that town for the night. Be prepared to tell me about the albergue there, the church, and the atmosphere so that I know whether to put it on my list for the next time I walk The Way.

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ciao Camille,

    As I was reading your Blog, I thought--"WOW, she's really, really, understanding the Journey of the Camino!" That being said, I do not know ANYTHING about the Camino except from you and the movie. But, what I noticed was your reactions to the people on the bus--from you description--your immediate reaction to the "tourists" (not your word, but mine) and then the realization that, no matter HOW you come to the Camino, you ARE ON the Camino and nothing else matters. I have to tell you, Girlfriend, you are sounding like the Dahli Lama!! i.e., loving, accepting, and non-judgmental! So--NAMASTE to you and all of your fellow Camino walkers--you are a special group of people--all of you! Many Hugs, Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saturday in Santiago! It's hard to believe. I can only imagine the multitude of emotions. All valid whatever they might be. Stay well - hope you get some great weather for the last few days. Safe travels, warmth and blessings to you. <3 Rob

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear sister, you haven't mentioned your blisters in a while, and I was wondering how they are? And how are your boots holding up in the rain, ie did your feet get wet? Have you met any pilgrims that are from Spain, or are they all from some place else? Everyone is commenting on your Camino magic with your walking sticks...how truly metaphorical that was! Also please know many free massages await you !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Dear One, Your road might not be a road less traveled, but what a single, personal journey... and alone, you've managed to take us all along with you:) What a treasure you are. How many pilgrims along the way will be remembering their encounters with the generous woman from PA? We'll be thinking of you on Sunday and sending more prayers and blessings your way. Love, Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad to hear from you this morning! What a surprise!! You sounded so happy and content! Can't wait to see you and hear all your amazing stories!!! Love Love :)

    ReplyDelete