Saturday, October 6, 2012

Hola everyone,
  It is about 8:30 here and I can barely keep my eyes open.  Amazing that I want to go to bed so early, especially after eating an amazing dinner served by the owner of this alburgue/hostel.   I am staying in Villares de Orbigo a small village about 3 kilometers from the bigger city of Hospital De Orbigo.  I walked a little over 17 Kilometers today, and it felt great.  Tomorrow I will make it to Astorga, but will probably not stay there as I want to stay at an Alburgue Gerri recommended in a town outside Astorga.  I find that I don´t really like staying in the bigger towns, my soul enjoys the quiet of the villages.  The alburgues are less crowded and the pace much slower.  In fact at this amazing alburgue I am staying in  this evening in Villares, there are only 3 of us  here.  A man from Belgium and a woman from Italy and me from the good ole USA.  The place is beautiful and it is the kind of home any of us would love with a small central courtyard, lots of plants, tile and wood floors.  The owners Paulo and Melin are originally from Madrid and met while walking the Camino.  They made a life style decision about 3 years ago and decided they didn´t want to start a family living in the city, that small village life was the way for them, so they bought this house , remodeled it and now are living their dream.   Paulo is an amazing cook and this evening we had a rice salad with seafood, peas and a dressing he would not divulge and leaf lettuce.  The main course was a beef stew with vegetables and a delicious light custard pudding for dessert.  Not too shabby.  I´m going to have to walk those 12 miles tomorrow to burn some of these calories.  Okay no more sugar in the cafe con leche :)
  
   Once again I am touched by the kindness and generosity of spirit of the people in Spain and the pilgrims walking the Camino.  This morning after a great breakfast.  I was putting my bandages on my feet for the blisters when the chef came out of the kitchen and said I will do this for you.  She went to the other room, came back with a maxi thin sanitary pad, cut it in half, put it over my toes and taped it in place.  The owner of the alburgue is a physiotherapist and this woman has been working there for 5 years.  She told me he taught her how to take care of blisters.  Who knew  !!!  So off to the supermacado for Maxi thins  :)    My feet felt fine today, although I have another little blister growing.  Nasty little pests, but all is well.

I  then had an opportunity to repay the kindness of the chef by giving some of my supplies to a young man from Germany I saw sitting  along the road with his shoes off looking miserable.  He stayed in the same alburgue as me and we recognized each other.  I stopped to ask if he was okay and he wasn´t.  Not only did his feet hurt, but his spirit was very low.  He just started the Camino the day before in Leon and he was discouraged and lonely.  We sat and talked for awhile and I shared with him some wisdom that I´ve learned from walking the Camino and we parted hoping to see one another again.  A little while later I came upon another young woman sitting alone and she too had been at the alburgue. We started to talk and it was her first day on the Camino as well.  In fact she and Phillip had been walking together for while until his blisters forced him to stop.  She was discouraged and sad and missed her family and thought she might have to quit.  But, paying it forward, we chatted and laughed and I massaged her sore shoulders, parted with a hug and then shortly after met at the local cafe/bar for a cafe con leche.  Ah the healing power of cafe con leche.   Amy you are right I see an expresso machine in the office.  We talked some more, took photos of each other hugged and off I went.  About 2 hours later I saw them walk into Hospital de Orbego and we once again hugged and laughed and celebrated their making it.   They are in their late 20´s and walking the Camino for their reasons and I applaud an honor their courage.     Why we walk is as diverse as the people who walk,  but we walk !!!!   With the healing power of nature and and a  pilgrimage that is thousands of years old., the combination of all that   energy and history is  going to impact us in some way.

  Everyone walks their own Camino.  I met some folks yesterday that are here for their honey moon and already took the bus to Astorga.  They are here for a walking vacation.  Other folks have an agency drive their backpacks from alburgue to alburgue and they walk with a day pack.  I´ve seen people on horseback and walking with a a donkey and of course the folks on bicycles.  The Camino is your Camino.  No right or wrong or in between.   It is what it is for you and that is the gift.

  So  I am sleepy and full and content.  I have clean sheets and clean pillowcase and blankets on this cold evening.  The rain has held off for now, we´ll see what tomorrow brings.  In the meantime.  Thank you all for being in my life and supporting me with your energy and love.  Embrace the day and enjoy.  Love, Camille on and in the Camino

7 comments:

  1. Camille, From Rechivaldo to Foncebadon will make an interesting walk on Monday. Warning: Foncebadon has NO internet service or cell phone service. I stayed at Mount Irago there and it was very welcoming, clean, and provided great food. I understand that the other albergue there is also nice. That village is even smaller than Rechivaldo, and just wait until you see Manjarin on Tuesday. Oh, the delights ahead of you:) They will make even your feet smile:) But you may want to stock up on snacks for the next few days will find you in a beautiful buy sparsely populated part of Spain. God bless!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Using the power of Google I was able to view the Albergue Villars de Orbigo on Maps. Then I discovered the website as well! We are all travelling with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You wonderful dear soul, you......I can almost feel the energy boost from the cafe con leche here at home ;) Take care of those feet and MUCHO love to you !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hola Dear One, You have been so generous to all of us with your vision and writings. We eagerly log in to read your next enrty.The good O'le USA couldn't have a better Ambassador:)The sisters are gathering Monday PM and as we have been, we'll be holding you close. As happy and excited as we are for you, WE MISS YOU!!!!! This is a LONG time for Carlisle to be without The Mayor:) Love, Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found out about your trek on Friday. Sounds like your are having quite a trip. If your feet are moist & sweaty, try using deodorant on them in the morning. This is something new recruits use in the army when they are doing a lot of hiking. Also, don't forget magnesium with your potassium. Need that for your muscles too. Hope the rest of your trip is wonderful. Take care. Sandy Miller

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post this morning - it infuses a rainy, gray PA day with Camino light. Thank you so much for sharing your extraordinary experience with us.

    I found this interesting site about the Camino, and thought you might like the section on best albergues. http://www.caminodesantiago.me/board/el-camino-frances/topic10443.html Elsewhere on the site it also has photos of each stage, which is really helpful for us fellow travelers. Buen camino. Lu

    ReplyDelete