Saturday, October 13, 2012

Hola  I am sitting in the sun on a rock fence in Triacastela 
with tomorrow finding me on my way to Sarria tToday was another 
sunny cool breezy fluffy cloud kind of day with a wee bit of a 
chill in the air. I find it magically interesting that my first 
full day in Celtic influenced Galicia found me walking on two 
separate occasions with pilgrims from Ireland. Daniel was a 
delight to chat with and Margo is a massage therapist and 
nutritional counselor And we had nothing to talk about:). 
Walking has brought me closer and deeper within the earth 
and land and elements.  The stone here literally vibrates it 
seems and the nooks and crannies and green spaces evoke magical 
and mystical ponderings and then you round a bend and a vista 
opens up that brings you to a vast space within.  Ah nature as 
poet and teacher.  What a gift. Today on the trail I watched 2 
different farmers herd their cows  up the Camino path using 
dogs usually German Shepard mixes and curved staffs to tap 
the cows on occasion.  The cows  are usually very docile except 
today when an Impatient and stupid cyclist continued to pass 
by spooking one cow to attempt a meager charge. The woman farmer 
and I made faces and i did the finger to  my head in a circle 
for the universal sign of crazy and I then said stupido. 
Doesn't endear the cyclists with the local farmers  It seems 
odd that I can be in Santiago by a week from tomorrow , but if 
all goes well that will be the case. I want go continue another 
4 or 5 days to Finisterre but that all depends on how I feel 
when I get to Santiago. I have the time so why not?  Everyone 
is feeling a bit odd about the end f our pilgrimage coming upon 
us. Once again a paradox and mixture of emotions. Grateful joyful 
excited to go home afraid to go home how will I integrate did I 
change. How  did i change  many swirling questions and only the 
moment and the gift of letting them settle where they may. So 
dear ones off to dinner with Kim from Texas and a good nights 
rest. Love to you all  embrace the day and smile for me. 
Camille in and on the Camino

6 comments:

  1. Though you are nearing Santiago, there is still much ahead of you. And though the roads and paths may grow a bit more crowded, there is still plenty of opportunity for solitude and reflection. May God continue to grant you peace and insight and safety and friendships on this trail you trek.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Camille -- it's me again. A couple of comments regarding albergues ahead of you. I found that once I got into Galicia, the private albergues were much nicer, though a bit more expensive, than the municipal albergues, which were crowded. In Sarria, I stayed in Los Blasones,, nine euros and quite nice. The International albergue there does not have a good reputation. I don't know about the others in that town. In Portomarin, I stayed at O Mirador, but was not impressed. I heard that others were better and in the actual town. In Palais de Rei, the Xunta is generally crowded with young people. Buen Camino was quite nice. That town is a bit weird to navigate. It looks like just one major street with no real grocery store, but there is more than what you might think. In fact, there are TWO real grocery stores, an Eroski and a Dia, I think. Ask around before you pay the high prices in the little stores on the main street. Though I didn't stay in Melide, it is a nice town with full services and some interesting churches. If I were to go back, I think I'd spend the night there rather than trekking on to Ribadiso. Well, that's the end of today's travel agent advice. Embrace the day:) I can hardly wait to share a cup of hot tea and your photos with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So Camille, as you are walking through the mountains in solitude, with mother nature filling your soul, have you had your Julie Andrews/ Sound of music moment yet? I keep seeing you in my minds eye, coming up over the crest of a hill, hat on hand, heart and voice bursting into song...the hills are alive... So if you haven't, I think you are due, and take a spin for me, too! I also

    ReplyDelete
  4. Camille: thoughts of tomorrow, and next week, and of home? "Embrace the day!", a wise woman has written to me. You have changed; and you have changed many others by your touch, kind words (spoken and written), random acts of kindness, and beautiful soul. Your questions will all be answered, in time, and at the time you are ready for the answers. I am indeed, smiling, with you. Carry on! Ed SSB

    ReplyDelete
  5. I most certainly agree with Trish's comments. This journey could not possibly leave you unchanged. And all of the love you have given and received on the way has most definitely left the world and other hearts filled with love and inspiration. I love that Gerri is a lovely tour guide for you. And yes twirl around in them mountains and belt out The Sound of Your Music. Barb and I will have your outfit made out of curtains ready for you when you arrive home:) YOU ARE SO VERY LOVED~!~!~!~!
    Dana

    ReplyDelete