Sunday, October 7, 2012


Hola everyone,  I am in Murlas de Rechivaldo a little village about 19 kilometers from where I stayed last evening.  The beginning of the walk was lovely and wild but as the day progressed so did the congestion , othe sun and the asphalt. As I mentioned in my post yesterday I don't like the large cities and and Astorga was no exception. Although there were many beautiful sights to be seen,   I did not have the energy for the noise and all the people so I continued on and I'm in a small quiet alburgue with a central courtyard. I'm sitting in a very comfortable chair on a porch overlooking  the courtyard and drinking a cup of tea.  I'm tired today as I am fighting off a head cold. These alburgues can be like little Petrie dishes with intestinal bugs and colds.  Our bodies get run down from all the demands we put on them and the  nasties just hide in the corners and look for an opportune moment. I seem to be moving  through it quickly but I was definitely ready when I got to the alburgue.  They have a beautiful husky Shepard mix dog who thought he was taking my bag of nuts  and chocolate but to his dismay , in his haste to grab and go he took the laundry soap bag.  Needless to say it remains intact as does my snack :).   I saw my little German friend Nichole also known as Nicky today.  She is looking  good and was movin' fast this morning.  We took a break together and she has found her land legs and will do great.  I hope Phillip gets the same confidence. She isn't walking with him anymore and I didn't see him at all today.  Tomorrow I start heading for the mountains.  And most likely on Tuesday I will reach La Cruz de Ferro where I will leave my stones.   There is a scene of that cross in be movie The Way.  This is the highest point on the entire journey and I'm looking forward to being in the mountains again. A quiet day in Camino land. My reserves are  low and I am in a quiet space contemplating the next few days.  Love to you all , embrace the day and enjoy.  Love Camille in and on the Camino.
 


9 comments:

  1. Oh Aunt Millie, I have a head cold, too, so we can share the sniffles. I so wish you would have taken your vitamins with you, but you are very strong, so sure it will be gone soon. Hopefully you will eat well today and sleep lots. I'm at school and lunch is over! Will write more later! Love you and miss you a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Camille -- Ponferrada is the next real city, and it is several days ahead of you, so use the restfulness of the countryside to get over that nasty head cold. Drink lots of hot tea and let your body dictate your distances. By the way, Moliniseca is a restful little town before you get to Ponferrada. The Santa Marina alberque in Moliniseca is nice and clean. In 2010 it had fantastic bathrooms and single beds rather than bunk beds -- Woo hoo, though that may have changed by now. Ponferrada's albergue is new and clean with rooms housing just 10 people per room or so, but it still seemed a bit "crowded" to me just on the outskirts of the old city. Like you,I prefer the villages over the cities!

    Hey, take care. And God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Geri, thank you for sharing your posts to Camille with all of us. Your comments add extra dimension to everything Camille writes, making it all that more interesting for those of us following along in our imaginations! Thanks again, Camille's sister , Barb

      Delete
    2. Barb, Camille's posts mean so much to me as they allow me to relive the experiences of this past summer, an experience that is, indeed, life changing. And reading the comments allows me to "meet" many of Camille's friends and loved ones.
      Maybe someday we will all really meet when we get to see those awesome photos she keeps telling us about:)

      Delete
  3. Ciao Camille! I read your blog everyday and you make me smile! Wendy & I went to a conference on Friday and we tried to comment on your blog, but for some reason, we were unable. Hope this one goes through! I loved, loved, loved your sharing of the music man in the bar who played Springstein for you--I can easily imagine how he touched your heart which I imagine is overflowing with Life at this point. I am so glad that you're doing this adventure which will last you a lifetime. Take care of your blisters and your cold (I still have a cold from Italy so I tell everyone that I cough and sneeze with an accent! You, too!). Hugs and love and much support to you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My comment made it but without my identity---does that mean I've lost it!?! Chris

    ReplyDelete
  5. You continue to be an inspiration! <3 Mb

    ReplyDelete
  6. Be well; I know you will take care of yourself, as evidenced in your blogs, but I wanted to say that anyway. Enjoying your journey, and remembering the scene at La Cruz de Ferro from the movie. What a special moment that will be for you! Much love, dear soulful Camille. Ed SSB

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Millie,
    what a profoundly moving, motivating journey you are taking! Who knew there was soooo much more to be learned? Be extra careful with those feet!..
    We miss you much and love you much!
    xo
    Carla

    ReplyDelete