Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Hola everyone,  Wow what an amazing day on the Camino.  I don´t quite know where to start, so how about at the beginning.  I left Rabanal del Camino around 7:45,  I wasn´t sure how far I would walk today, but the ultimate destination was Molinaseca and I made it for a distance of about 26 K .  What stood out about today was the diverse weather patterns and the terrain.  The sunrise was a show stopper over the mountains and then a short time later the clouds came and with them, the drizzle and then the sun and with that a glorious double rainbow as a guide to La Cruz de Ferro, the cross at the highest point on the Camino where people leave their stones and other powerful totems.  It is a powerful place and the sun was shining when I  arrived.  The mountain views were astounding and at one point I thought I might have been transported to Skyline Drive in virginia, but that passed and it was very evident I was in Spain.    Then it began to rain and the fog and clouds moved in.  Then a while later the sun came out and I could see a  view that took my breath away and then the coulds again and the rain and the fog.  You get the idea a very mercurial day weather wise.  bodywise it was rough rocky terrain that gave new meaning to the word focus.  I was very much in the moment.  So focused was I on the rocks, that I missed the blackberries along the trail.  Now that is just sad:(     But my taste buds would have to miss out as the rain slicked rocky terrain needed my full attention.   Then I walked into a Acebo where there is a great bar with my beloved cafe con leche AND a fire in the fireplace to dry out all the wet pilgrims.  They sold alot of garlic soup today.,  It was there that I ran into Rose from Seattle who I met earlier on the Camino.  We continued to walk together and we are both staying at a great Alburgue that my  Camino travel Agent Gerri recommended.  Thanks again Gerri for your awesome recommendations.    I also ran into Tuan a guy we met at the beginning of our walk from DC who is in  fishing commodities, although I´m not quite sure what that means.  He is a great guy and it was so wonderful to catch up with him and talk about our Camino adventures.  On the walk this afternoon I came upon a grove of old growth Chestnut trees, I think they were Chestnut.  I took pictures.    They were huge. I really did feel like I was in the apple orchard of the Wizard of Oz fame.  These trees had some ancient wisdom and it was obvious that other folks felt the sam as there was a small fire pit in the center of the trees.  The one tree was  at least a 6 person hug.  I was entranced and it was all I could do to not curl around that tree and have a late afternoon lounging session, but it was late and we needed to move on.  I didn´t get into the alburgue until after 5 and that is late for me.  I like to get in by 3 or 4 so I can get laundry done and out to dry. We had a very filling dinner this evening here at the Alburgue with 2 women from Perth Australia.  It was a very poignant conversation and I am grateful to have met them and for them to have shared their Camino journey with me and I with them.   As we get closer to Santiago, you can feel a shift happening.  Not only within me, but I think with others as well.  I am still very much here and in the moment, but I am now realizing that I could be in Santiago a week from Sunday,  10/21  Not sure if that is going to happen and I also want to walk an additional 4 or 5 days to Finnisterre known as ,the end of the earth and the ocean, but once again, it depends on my body, my time frame and if it is meant to be.  We have another mountain  to walk, but I find the up is not so difficult, it is the down that is more challenging for me.    So, my dear friends, the Camino as always gives many gifts and I only ask that I be as open as I can be to recognize them and embrace them.  So with that good night to you all, as it is 9:30 here in Spain and I need to go bond with my feet before bed.  Love to you all, and embrace the day.  Camille in and on the Camino 

7 comments:

  1. Wow -- that was a long walk today over some difficult terrain. Oh-so-impressive! Not sure where you are headed tomorrow, but soon you will come to O'Cebreiro. Warning: the hike up to that mountain top experience is one of the most difficult of the Camino. Don't try to take on too much that day. And while the municipal albergue in that village is new, it is crowded and totally lacking in character. But the village, particularly its chapel, is time well spent. Perhaps a good place to get a real room rather than merely a bed? Or perhaps you may want to stop in La Faba, which I have heard has a fantastic private albergue. Whatever, Camille, may God continue to guide you and provide for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Camille,
    You bring tears to my eyes with all the wonderment and joy you are experiencing. Thank You for taking us along! It is fun to map out your journey and see where you are. I can't want to see the pictures and put them with your entries. You are an Amazing women!!
    Journey Well my sister!!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ciao Camille! Your posting was a wonderful reminder to me of how Life changes--sometimes in just a short moment. For you, there were amazing physical/environmental shifts--the sunset, the rain, the rainbows, the sun, the clouds, etc.--all in one day and I'm sure, from your descriptions, that there were interanl changes within you as well. What living you are doing!! I can imagine that sudden awareness that you will soon finish the Camino--at least physically, and I felt a sense of sadness wash over me for you. Oh, if we really could let go of attachment! Anyway, keep doing what you're doing--being in the moment and absorbing this amazing life-changing experience. My heart is with you Camille on the Camino and every morning I listen to you tell us to "Embrace the Day"! Hugs and Love, Chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dear twister, sounds like you were in Oz today, with all the weather, ancient trees, sacred mountain tops, sorrowfully missed blackberries and slippery Walking, but then a warm fireplace with good company, ah... What a great day, not to mention that you officially have earned your "lightness of being"! I thought about you on and off all day, knowing that magic was happening for you! Have you seen any deer? I hope one shows up for you! I love you and love seeing how graciously you are carrying your tender warm heart with your every step!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ciao Ciao! What a day full of messages, and meaning; how blessed you are for this experience. And now you have let go of your stone, lightening your burden, making space for something better. You are sharing your beautiful soul with the Universe, and with all who have been drawn to you. Love you, journey well. Ed SSB

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Millie,
    Your blog just keeps getting more beautiful and insightful, It will be great to talk when you get back; it's pretty clear that you have become "lit up" by this journey.
    You will be our friend, massage therapist and now our sage.
    big love and happy feet!
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Trucha a la Navarra"... I promise to make that for you when I see you in November!

    ReplyDelete