Friday, October 5, 2012


Hola everyone,   I am in Vilar de Mazarife about 20 K or 12 miles from Leon.   I left this morning around 8ish and cafe con leched myself to this little village around 3 ish.  I chose a route that was very much like the Meseta, not crowded, open with vast sky and fields that are plowed for the next planting of corn.  It was great to walk along and hear the rustling stalks of dried corn.  Definitely reminded me of home.   Yesterday was a different kind of day for me.  After having such an incredible experience in Mansilla, perhaps there was a bit of let down, my feet were sore and tired or it is the fact that life is that way,  a mixture of many many things.  The alburgue I stayed in was a Benedictine monastery in the old city and it was quite crowded.  Part of my Camino experience is the realization that I feel best when I have a bit of space around me.   Space for my pack, space to be out of the sleeping area, a place to get composed and still.  Verrrry interesting learning on this end.  I also realize that my feet were in a healing mode, which means that they got a bit worse before they got better and as a result of that my energy was down and I was challenged.   Its all good and I am aware that its how I choose to react in situations that makes the difference as ¨sitautions¨will always  be in our lives.  Nothing all of you don´t already know.  Its just on the Camino its like the lessons on on steroids :)  Today my feet felt fine with the walk and I had a glorious time with the open sky and sun.  

 I went to a blessing of the pilgrims service last evening that was given to us by the nuns.  It was lovely and parts of it were sung by both the nuns and the pilgrims.  My lack of speaking or understanding  Spanish made  it difficult to fully grasp what was being said, but without a doubt you could feel the sincerity and compassion the nuns were conveying to us for our journey    I also  went to the catedral in Leon and toured it yesterday. The stained glass windows are beyond description.  This catedral was a bit more manageable and not as overwhelming as the one I toured  in Burgos.  The architecture boggles my mind.  The sheer enormity of it all.  This particular catedral was rehabed because  its structure  was compromised at one point and apparently it was one of the most extensive rehabs done on a catedral in Europe.  From what I understand the entire project was one big risk   We aren´t talking in this century. Try the 12th century.  History here takes on a whole new meaning.  

 Today was also a festival day and there were parades and people everywhere.  All kinds of booths set up selling things, a Spanish Medevial fest honoring the Saint . of Leon, San Froilan.  As I was walking out of Leon  there were crowds of people walking along the same route as the pilgrims.  It turns out we were all walking to the town, La Virgen Del Camino which I guess was the epicenter of the festival.  It was great to see all the people out and about, but I didn´t hang around much as I wanted out of the city and onto the open space part of the Camiino. 

  I am staying at a great Alburgue and anticipating a great group dinner they are preparing for this evening.    There are quite a few Americans here, from Indiana, Oregon, California a couple of women from Australia, a guy from Lithuana, some guys from Sweden, and a couple from Japan.  And that isn´t everyone:)   I also ran into some old friends from Germany that I´ve been passing off and on for weeks.  They are staying in the Alburgue across the street and it was great to catch up and chat with them a bit.   

Okay that´s all  for now, not sure if I will go to Astorga tomorrow or stop off at a town closer to Vilar de Mazaarife.  If I go to Astorga it is 30 Kilometers and that is more than I like to walk in a day especially since my feets are still healing.  At this point, according to my guide book, I am 183.5 miles from Santiago.  Hard to believe.  Okay dear one, bye for now.  Embrace the day and enjoy.  Much love to you all,  Camille on and in the Camino

3 comments:

  1. Camille -- Your journal is so reflective of my own experience on the Camino. I stayed at the monastery in Leon in both 2011 and 2012. The first time, I found it a bit crowded but friendly. This past summer I found it still crowded but a bit underwelcoming. The cathedral there is one of my favorites; its sacred architecture calming somehow.

    And like you, I was glad to escape the city. The peace and calm found on the Camino and in the villages along the way is genuinely spirtual. Having said that, I'll warn you that Astorga is also a large city, not as large as Leon and a little less overwhelming, but nevertheless, a city. Murias de Rechivaldo is beyond Astorga. Albergue de las Aguedas is a small private refugio there that charges just 8 euros and is lovely. That would make a two day walk for you, short enough days to perhaps allow those feet of yours to heal a bit.

    Keep these daily posts coming. You have no idea what they mean to us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have walked over three hundred miles.... wow~!~!~! There are no words for how proud and inspired I am because of you. You are pure AWESOME~!~!~! I love you Camille

    big love
    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're doing great. . . . you're open to the wonder of everything! I can understand the space thing, as that is really important for me as well. Take good care and safe travels as you move on. Love and blessings.

    ReplyDelete