Saturday, September 15, 2012

Hola. I am sitting in an Alburgue in Los Arcos after an arduous walk from Estrella.  The terrain itself wasn't as steep as others we've traversed , but the sun  was relentless and there was NO shade.  We have had beautiful blue cloudless skies and no humidity, but the sun is harsh and it can drain you before you know it.  In fact I didn't write yesterday because I misjudged the intensity of the sun and found myself struggling with heat exhaustion.  When we reached the municipal Refugio which is usually a large facility with  lots of bunk beds and a definite hostel feel with this particular Refugio in a large old building with Marble steps I must have looked beat. The hospitelero led us to a large room with 16 bunk beds with only the top ones available.  She said There was a small room with 1 bunk Bed  which we took gladly. It turns out it was the cleaning supply  room with open at the top plywood walls and a door. What it afforded us was privacy and place for me to rest out of the masses.  To me this was a small Camino miracle.  You find them all along the way.  I begin to appreciate more and more the simple pleasures of a good bed, good ear plugs, a juicy peach or orange in the middle of the day and a fountain of cold  water just when you think you will dry up and blow away. Not to mention the kindness of other pilgrims checking in wirh you if you are stopped . At one point yesterday when I was beginning to feel the weight and sun of the day bearing down on me I was walking through a village and out of a window head adults and children singing happy birthday.  The melody and sentiment the same only the words different.  Well I am feeling better and as  day 9 of walking is over and I reflect on my time walking the Camino I realize that this path is challenging me in ways that have not become evident.  It can be grueling and rewarding all in the same instant. And as always scenery that is stunning.  Oh one more thing. Today when we were looking for shade we saw an old stone stricture up a small hill.  We walked ip ther and aat in the glorious shade and ate grapes right off the vine.  They were oh my god delicious and helped give us some additional fortitude to plow onward.   Love to you all and I love hearing back from you.   Take care.  Carpe Diem. Camille on the Camino
Sent from my iPhone

2 comments:

  1. Give time time and be sure to take your time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Camille! Hope the weather is a little kinder heat wise in the days to come. Sending you prayers and cool and breezy thoughts right this minute. Know they will reach you. Take good care. Love to you. Rob and Eric

    ReplyDelete