Wednesday, September 26, 2012


 
 Hola dear friends. Today finds us in Castrojeriz another little 
town along the Meseta.  Last night we had a long and rowdy rain 
storm and Gay  and I were grateful for our bed in the sports center 
also known as a gym. A large group of young Korean students huddled 
like a bunch of puppies in the center on mattresses as there were no 
more cots available. They were a riot.  Although we were chilly and 
slept in our clothes and fleece, we were dry and out of the elements. 
The Meseta is known for it's open vast wheat fields and big sky, but 
it is also known as a place  of extremes.  A number of pilgrims we 
met on the way decided to skip the Meseta all together.  Gay and I 
never considered that in our plans.  It is a beautiful place and has 
a unique character of it's own.  There are some trees and undulating 
hills and the big big sky.  Back to the challenge.  I knew that the 
sun and heat could be our biggest challenge and of course the worry 
that we would not  have enough water as the towns are not close together. 
surprisingly however it turns out that the wind and mud from the 
previous night's storm was our Meseta challenge of the day.  It 
could change tomorrow and the sun could pay a visit, but today was 
wind, mud, and cold. 
I am sitting in a lovely little bar cafe where the owner gave me a cup 
of hot water for the tea bag I had with me and when I went to pay he 
wasn't sure what to  charge me for hot water. As I grabbed a handful 
of change I had an American quarter mixed in. He picked it up and 
asked what  it was and so I  gave it to him. He seemed pleased and 
he also let  me plug in my phone  to charge as I write this.  Every 
Refugio or Albergue is very different. You really never know what 
the municipal alburgues will offer although our guide book tries to 
offer some information.  So today we decided to try the one the book 
said was a traditional (original) pilgrim hostel. An atmospheric 
local hostel run by Hospitalero Resti one of the Camino's enduring 
characters,  well Resti isn't there and although the place is old, 
it is rather Spartan. They do have a great space for us to do laundry 
with wooden all wooden wash boards and a great place to hang out our 
clothes.  I really have come to appreciate the simple things. 
And they had laundry soap for us to use. Whooooo!!!!!!  It took 
me awhile to settle into this place especially when I realized I 
would  be in a top bunk, no rails, and a very low ceiling. I tweaked 
my situation a bit and told the hospitelero  I was not able to climb 
up to the top and had to have a bottom bunk.  It was the no rails 
that forced that card.  A couple of days ago a man we met fell 
out of a top bunk and broke his hip.  Sooo I am in a bottom bunk 
which means not too far to fall.   So tomorrow  we leave here and 
walk to Boadilla del Camino about 20 k or 12 miles  away.  I called 
ahead to reserve a room in a private alburgue which I think will be 
a notch up from the one we are staying in tonite.  We like to mix it 
up.  Its all part of the Camino.  Well time to go. Love to you all. 
Carpe Diem. Camille in the Camino. 
 
 
 
 
 
.

4 comments:

  1. Hi - glad you got the bottom bunk! And had shelter from the storm. I think I would like the open sky and wheat fields - it would probably remind me of growing up in the midwest. I can imagine what you are seeing. Traveling mercies . . . and watch out for those older men! :) <3 Rob

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure if it was deliberate, but you signed this post Camille IN the Camino. You are no longer on the surface of this journey, you are inside of the experience.

    I had lovely, long talks with Barb and Amy yesterday, and it is amazing how your pilgrimage is touching so many others.

    If feels as if you are leading the way to various others' journeys.

    And we are all very impressed at what a good writer you are - your posts are so enjoyable. I start each morning with a good cup of coffee and quiet time reading about your adventure. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Camille -- Those top bunks without rails are a bit frightening! Some one fell out of one in Pamplona one night, woke us all up. Not sure whether he broke any important bones are not. Of course, here in the US, you're probably required by law to have rails on those top bunks, but in Spain . . . well . . . it's a bit different!

    I love reading your daily blogs. You certainly capture the essence of the journey and remind me, once again, of the joys of simple living -- sleep, eat, walk, talk. No lawns to mow, no appointments to keep, no one demanding attention.

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete