Monday, September 17, 2012

Hi All you Camino followers.  Bear with me if I repeat myself.  I don´t always remember what I write.  I guess I could check my blog.  What a thought.   My brain is definitely in non-thinking mode after a long day of hiking.   Last evening Gay, Connie, Ian and I had a delightful pilgrims dinner in a very nice restaurant with lovely linen table cloths, nabkins, and lovely wine glasses.  Needless to say this has not been our usualy eating environment although there have been many  many lovely meals and places that hosted them.   We had cod in a Rioja sauce which is a red sauce with minced vegetables and the ever present french fries.  Not the abundance of french fries that we get in the states, but 7 or so to add to the meal.  Most of the salads I´´ve had include olives, tuna, egg, mixed greens and tomatoes with balsamic and olive oil.  They are quite substantial and I love love love having some greens.  For 12 euros you get a 3 course meal which is very filling.  Usually the desserts are scrumptious  and I splurge after all this walking.  Last evening I thought I would be more healthy in my choice and I ordered fruit, as did the rest of my group.  We were totally surprised when our waitress came out and placed a whole apple on our lovely plate.  The contrast between the rest of the meal and the apple was hysterical.   Just goes to show you how our minds and preconceived beliefs collide with reality.  We all sliced our lovely apples and finished a delightful meal with good company and good spirits before shuffling off to bed. 
     Today was an interesting day.  We left Viana this morning around 6:30 and arrived in Navarette around 2:00 or 2:30.   Walking daily has given me the gift of embracing nature in a manner that is deeper and more raw/organic.   I love it and am in awe of how much I miss in my daily life.  We started out walking in the dark this morning and had to use flashlights and adlamps.  The trail was through the village and out into the country side where everything opens up and you get to see the sky.  The sunrise this morning was gentle and soft with the background lights twinkling in the background.   As we continued on the landscape opened up again and we found ourselves walking on road and bicycle paths through the city of Logrono.  We stopped for breakfast, a Spanish Tortilla and coffee con leche brfore walking through the busy busy city with all its sounds.   They seem so much louder and harsh since we´ve been out in the country or in little villages the past few days.   A high light of the morning was when a local woman was passing us, she stopped, opened her arms wide and with this beautifc smile and great sincerity looked us in the eye and said twice BUEN CAMINO.  It brought tears to my eyes and does even now when I think of it.   The rest of the day of through Rioja country, which is a wine region.   So fields and fields of grape vines which also translates to sun sun sun and little shade.  You would think we are getting used to this by now and I think I am, or at least I´ve come to expect it and as usual smile when I see a tree and the shade it affords.   We struggled up a hill to the first alburgue, which I must say is a disappointment. Crowded with no green space outside and not real place to bond with your pack, not my pack of people, but my best friend, my osprey pack moxia the marvelous,  something I seem to do daily.   But, I got over it after a moments rest on my top bunk, which I am used to at this point, I am showered, clothes laundered and connecting with you all before we venture into the old town of the city for some food.  I love your posts back and I am happy to hear you are enjoying mine.  As always thank you and I leave with  my new\old favoriate  saying Carpe Diem, something I am certainly doing here on the Camino.   Much love to you all,  Camille on the Camino

7 comments:

  1. I am addicted to checking your blog for new posts! Everytime I have a free second, I check for a new one! Love to hear about your experiences and try to imagine what you are describing! Love and miss you! BUEN CAMINO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi - imagining your every step. . . . you are describing your pilgrimage perfectly. Sounds like you have gotten your hiking legs. Love to hear about the food!! :) Stay safe and be well. <3 Rob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peregrinos certainly look at food differently than those who have never walked the Camino. Continue to appreciate the sunrises, the new perceptions, and the folks you meet. You will NEVER forget them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What I always do is copy and paste your location to Google Maps. Then I left click the little man and drag him over the location your at on the map... I can see where your at!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Aunt Millie!!
    I am reading your posts and many people have been asking about you! I miss you so! After spending the summer with you now I don't even have the option to come see you cause we are not even on the same continent! Your posts remind me every day of the bigger picture and help keep me grounded! Continue to stay strong and safe! Swords up!!
    Love,
    Little M
    Ps I had some string cheese yesterday and totally relived our moment! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awe Camille, I MISS YOU SO MUCH~!~!~!~! Carla M. and I sat in the waiting room last week and talked about you and how proud we are of you. You are such an inspiration. I look forward to rubbing your feet and listening to your stories.
    BIG HUGE LOVE
    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  7. Camille - this is so amazing! Thanks so much for the effort you put forth to 'take us all along on your Camino'! Despite my busy life here at work, I am taking almost daily trips to read your blog and love every minute of it!

    Blessings to you,

    Tonya's Larry

    ReplyDelete