Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Hola dear ones,   Well well well here we are in Hornillos 
after a 12.6 mile walk from Burgos.  We started the Meseta 
today which is a high plateau with open wheat fields and big 
sky. Gay feels quite at home here as she grew up in Kansas. 
I love the open vast feeling of it all and o can feel that 
opening inside me as well. We were accompanied today by the 
blustery and constant energy if the wind.  I love the wind 
and it energizes me and clears out any co webs in my brain. 
We were walking into the wind and thus is the first time 
we've really spent an entire day embraced by this element. 
The Meseta is wide open so the gusts were not hindered in 
any way and  were amazing and i found myself hooting and 
hollering on occasion.  I know on all levels that I can not 
choose the weather, but when you are in the elements the 
ranking of what you prefer come into play. For example the 
wind was unexpected and I had not really considered what 
walking the Meseta with wind would be like as I was so 
focused on how it would be to walk  the Meseta with the 
hot hot sun. All in all it is what it is. Little me in 
this Wondrous magi al world of the elements. My gift is 
to embrace it al and accept what is.  Which brings me to 
today's accommodations.  Our friend Gerri who did the 
Camino in May and June gave us some head up on various 
alburgues along he Camino.  She has vi en a bug no to 
the Uni Joan Albergue in this town, but when we arrived 
here the nice hostel was full and were slowly made our 
way to the municipal alburgue.  Well it too was full and 
we now find ourselves on cots in the empty sports building. 
It is big and cold and it is a shelter.  Shortly after we 
arrived and began to laugh at this scenario the wind picked 
up  and it began to rain.   Soooo, ideal, no way !!! 
Enough, you bet. !!!!   We'll bundle up,  get a cup of 
tea, go to bed early and move on to our next adventure. 
The accoustics are amazing in here and our German friend 
Petra is humming a lovely  song as I write.  Ah the simple 
pleasures of life. It reminds me to find joy in everything. 
Yesterday in Burgos I was in the square writing post cards 
and sitting next to a woman and her 2 daughters. 
The little one  a bit fussy and her mama was singing to her. 
She must have been About 1 1/2  or 2 years old.  I caught 
her eye and  she and her sister who was about 5 came sidling 
over  to me.  I connected to her by the universally undertstood 
language of art.  Draw me a picture ,  which she did and I 
still have her little squiggles.  Her mama graciously allowed 
me to take a photo of the girls and we were all beaming when 
I left.   And then of course being the man magnet that I am, 
I look up to see another octogenarian smiling and flirting with me, 
taking my hand and pulling me in close.  My  no able espanole 
did not help and I was rescued by a young woman who overheard 
me asking where I could post a letter.  Come on, something's 
gotta give here. Older men yes but there  is a limit here. 
Gay and I surprised ourselves today by making it to Hornillos. 
We were going to stop in Rabe  de las Calzadas but we arrived 
there around 11 this morning and that was too  early to stop. 
So we continued on and are sleepingin our very own personal 
basket ball court.  As of today we have walked 237.3 miles 
and have been walking for 19 days.  Amazing.  I glad to be 
out walking again. Although our time in Burgos was great i 
prefer  the smaller villages and the old prt of those villages. 
Soon inwill wander outside if the rain has stopped and go for 
a hit drink, make a visit to the village church which is always 
lovely and write in my journal.  No laundry today. It won't dry. 
Okay that all for mow n love to you all and as always. Carpe Diem. 
Camille on the Camino. There are many more people arriving. 
I am grateful for my humble bed.  
 

4 comments:

  1. You are averaging over 12 miles a day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The adventure continues! Blessings and love, Rob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soulful, Camille: your soul touches all, from the very young to the very old; your soul is the only language you need to communicate. What lovely stories you have told, with more yet to come. Be safe, be well! Love you, Ed Sees Sun Birth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's an idea for a book for you to write when you get back - Old Guys on the Camino: A Young Woman's Guide to picking up Octogenarians! Hahahaha!

    ReplyDelete