Sunday, September 9, 2012

Hola, everyone,  Okay that is the extent of my Spainish.  Not really.  I am learning bits and pieces, and hopefull will be more aware as time goes on.  This is only my first day in Spain after a 2 day walk over the Pyrennes.  I cannot express to you the beauty of this land.  The diversity of the landscape and the uncluttered countryside and no noise , just the sounds of nature and the clicking of walking sticks.   I was up early this morning around 5:30, which gives me a bit of a head start on the crowd that eventually begins to rouse themselves.  We usually start the walk by 6:30 or 7 to get a good start and avoid the heat.  It has been warm these last few days with lots of sun and blue skies of which I am grateful.  This morning it chilly and I have on my fleece jacket.  Today we are going to do a light day of about 7 or so after the last 2 days over the Pyrnees. We will make up some time as we aclimate our bodies.  I am holding up well and feel strong, at least so far, but once again I´m only starting day 3 of my journey .. Hard to believe it has been less than a week since I arrived in Europe.  I already have to ask people what day it is and the date is gone from my mind, although i do know it is September :)    
I am going to post as often as I can.  I am having technical difficulties with my phone so I can only post when I am near a public pay for use computer.
Let me tell you about accomodations.  The first night in St. Jean Pied de Port we were exhausted from almost 24 hours of travel and we stumbled into the first refuhio we could find.  It was adequate, although we decided not to stay there the second night.  We had a single room, which is unusual, with bunk beds, a norm over here at the refugios.  Gay and I take turns as to who get the top bunk.  The second night we stayed in the refugio run by the Camino Accueil, and there were 10 of us in the room 5 sets of bunk beds.  I had forgot to turn off my phone and my voice mail is turned off, so around 1AM it started ringing and I took a leaping dive off the top bunk to reach it before my roomies decided to end my Camino journey early for me.  The 3rd night we stayed in a beautiful refugio in Orrison, where it has an outside deck overlooking the Pyrnnes and the valley.  We all sat outside and chatted, had a great dinner.  In fact I wanted to get the soup recipe and forgot to ask.  Perhpas a Camino cookbook?   And then last night we stayed at an old hospital with a large enclosed courtyard.  It has been remodeled with several floors of pilgrim rooms.   There are 2 bunk beds in each cubicle and lights go out automatically at 10.  So far all have been comfortable and I am enjoying the diversity.  Didn´t sleep too well last night, but will catch up tonight.  Okay, have to go now.  My time on the computer is almost up, and I need to meet some friends for Breakfast before we begin.   Love to all, and I recommend this to anyone.  It is AMAZING.   I´ll be in touch.
 Camille on the Camino

1 comment:

  1. Hola Camille!
    Larry and I are loving your posts! We have been inspired by you and plan on walking the camino literally as soon as Larry retires. Bought him the Nancy Frey book and will get any others you recommend. Sounds absoluttely wonderful! Buen Camino!

    ReplyDelete