Saturday, September 29, 2012


Hola friends
  Every day finds me in a totally different circumstance here
on the Camino. In  this moment I am in an alburgue in calzadilla
de la cueza sitting in the sun with a guy washing his car in the
yard and blasting loud Spanish music with alot of bass.  Go figure
. There is a small swimming pool but It is way too windy and chilly
to even contemplate a plunge.  Even my feet resist dipping in.   
Today was a long long day on the Meseta. Quite beautiful but long nonetheless. We started at 7 when it is dark and made it to the
next town a little after 8. That town was  called carrion and if
was a much larger town than villalcazar de Sirga the village i was
in last evening Friday. We were worried we would have rain, but
the clouds stayed until early afternoon and then the sun danced
with them the res of the day.   Yesterday was an interesting day. 
We took an alternate route and didn't see alot of people which is
odd as ther are days when we see people  along the trail, especially when there  is an incline and you can see all the pilgrims spread
out in front of you.  We all tend to cycle in and out of each others orbits and it always a joyful moment to see a Camino friend you
haven't seen for awhile.  We stayed in a municipal alburgue and it
is always a gamble as to how it might be. This one was a delight. 
The hospitelero  or people who check you in were very kind and personable.  at one point when I came in after dinner there  were
what I believe to be mourning doves cooing outside the alburgue.  I came into the foyer mimicking their sound and asking my hosts their name in Spanish.   it was called Paloma female or palomo male. I made an owl imitation And my Spanish friends were very clear that the
sound was not an owl.  We laughed and had a great time trying to communicate withe gestures word and animal sounds. At the bar/restaurant where I was havin cafe co n leche and charging my
phone I met Rose from Washington state and Christian from Utah. Christian is a writer and we all had a great time discussing books
and hanging out.  This alburgue had a kitchen , not all of them do
so when we came back to our room there was alot of cooking going on
and lots of aromas.  Sleeping in a community bedroom is quite an experience. One that I am getting used to , primarily because of my
new best friends ear plugs. A necessity on this trip.  People have asked me what I brought that I wished I hadn't or what did j wish
I bad brought.  I didn't need my tin cup and little plug in water heater for tea but I wish I would have brought an extra shirt and
pants or a shirt and skirt for the evening.  You get tired if
wearing your hiking pants all the time.  I had a pair of lounge / pajama bottoms I left somewhere so I might look for some leggings
or something. I could Also  use them for layering if it gets too
cold.  Well it is getting time to think about dinner. InM really
no too hungry but will probably go in tithe bar anyway. 
Lobe to you all. Camille on the Camino.   Carpe Diem.
 

3 comments:

  1. Love right back to you. :) Whoo Whoooooo. Rob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola, mi bonita amiga, Senorita Camille; como esta? Dos cervazas, mui frio, por favor! Donde es el bano? OK, well, now that I've exhausted 96% of my Spanish language skills(?) I have to inquire, because someone needs to, and I'm not shy, or particularly appropriate: Camille, just where, and how, did you loose your pj bottoms? I recall statements regarding older men being beckoned to you....you shouldn't leave such things to be alone in my imagination! :) Enjoying my a.m. tea and using this a.m. time, as has become my ritual now, to share it with thoughts of Camille on the Camino, holding her cup of cafe con leche. Be well, my dear. Love, Ed SSB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hola Dear One, Are your ears burning? Bobbi and Mary Kaye and I walked the Le Tort this AM ( So big deal if it's not the Camino)and so much of our conversation was about your adventure, how beautifully you write and how much we miss you. Stay well cherished Amiga and "may the wind be always at your back",Love Cheryl Geo and your Tribe:)

    ReplyDelete