Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Hello all. I am sitting in a small plaza outside a cafe in Santo Domingo 
del Cazada. There is a chill in the air and a slight breeze.  I 've done 
laundry,showered and am enjoying some down time.  We are staying in a 
large modern refugio  operated by the Spanish Cofraternity  It has 210
beds spread over 3 floors with kitchen facilities and a lounge with tv 
which at the moment is not on thank god.  I am now inside as it is cold 
outside.   It is such a great thrill to see so many familiar faces as well
as many many new ones.  People seem to cycle through at various times and
towns.  Today's walk was about 12 miles through the last of the grape 
orchards. The sun rise was very different as it reflected off the Red 
jagged mountain ranges in the distance.  Sometimes I could imagine that
I am in the southwest of the US as the landscape sometimes is so similar.
The funniest sign we saw today was in a rest area with the image of a 
person squatting and a slash line through it saying prohibido defecar.
Which means don't shit. Needless to say we were hysterical and had to 
take photos of us in the defecar position.    We also  walked through a
town that seemed like a ghost town of fairly new construction with a 
golf course and country club but no people.  The houses looked  like 
dormitories or square boxes nothing like we would imagine for a community
with a pool and club.  I imagine thus idea all fell apart with the down
turn in the Spanish economy.  They did have the first wind solar generator 
at this golf course.   Of course I took pictures of these that you will
see one day.  I'm not techno enough to get them off to you.  We've been
walking with a guy named Andy from Australia who has playful spirit and
a technical mind that is awe inspiring.  He has gadgets and is great at
photos and videos on  the Camino.  last evening he introduced us all to
the local version of a penny candy store.  We went crazy buying the 
Spanish version of all your favorite penny candy, many of which I enjoyed
on my walk today.   I was talking to Barb yesterday when I tried to see 
if my phone would work and actually got through to the office.  In our 
conversation I was telling her with great joy about how the hostel we were
staying in had Real Towels and Clean sheets and pillow sheets not made out 
Of paper and an awesome shower and bathroom.  I have come to appreciate 
these simple luxuries on the Camino and want to remember to appreciate 
them just as much when I return.  Well have to go know we are gathering
for dinner.   Love to you all.  Camille to the Camino   If I have a
chance I'll write again this evening but we re usually in bed by 10. 
 Love to you all. 
 

8 comments:

  1. 12 miles today - awesome! I guess you are appreciating the weather change. Sounds like you are meeting some great folks every day. Love the updates! Walking with you in spirit. <3 Rob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Though I returned from the Camino more than two months ago, I still look at my bath tub and hot shower and fluffy towels and real sheets with a pleasure unknown to those who experience these luxuries each day. We are truly blessed.

    Hey Camille, how about the rooster in the backyard of that refugio? I suppose you heard that interesting story:) And, like you, I found the town of Ciruena a bit disconcerting. All that investment and it's pretty much a ghost town. Spooky!

    So, you've got about 370 miles to go. How are your feet holding up? What did you take that you wished you had left at home? What do you wish you had brought?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many of us look forward to your next blog to read about the most recent part of your adventure.Your descriptions have us feeling as if we can taste and see it all right along with you. Love from the tribe:) Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Camille, I have Camille on the Camino on my Desktop and read it most nights before bed. I feel like I am on a journey, too! Thank you for sharing your experience with all of us! And, when I pass your office i offer a prayer for your continued good health. Carpe Diem! Jerry

    ReplyDelete
  5. Each morning I have Dominic read your posts from the day before and we track your progress on Google Maps. Through your words he is living your journey! Keep writing. Are there any crows?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Camille! This is my first chance to read your blog, and how wonderful to learn that your time on the Camino has been so inspiring and successful! What a life-enriching experience! May the blessings continue and expand. Love, Carole

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Millie,

    just love your blog! thanks for keeping us posted....I think there should be a "Camille on the Camino" book coming by spring 2013!
    Stay healthy and keep happy feet! Sending blessings and lots of love!Carla

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Camille,
    Just found out you had a blog. Great idea. How wonderful of you to share your experience. I am sending you a mental foot massage and white light and love. Keep on trekking. Blessings,Terry

    ReplyDelete